In this thorough tutorial, we’ll go over important subjects like the PVD process, the colors and surface treatments of PVD-colored stainless steel sheets, and the factors affecting the choice of stainless steel grades. To help achieve the best possible outcomes for your projects, we’ll also offer helpful advice for using these items.
Understanding PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) Process
PVD, or Physical Vapor Deposition, is a process that strengthens materials such as stainless steel by layering them with an ultra-thin but incredibly durable film. This is done by vaporizing the material and then depositing it onto a substrate.
The PVD process involves the following main steps:
Preparation of the Substrate
Loading the Substrate
The substrate is placed into a vacuum chamber manually.
Evaporation of the Target Material
Utilizing a high-energy source like an electron beam, the target material such as titanium, zirconium, or chromium is heated until it evaporates.
To achieve the desired hue of coating, gases such as nitrogen or oxygen are injected into the chamber. This reaction with the metal oxide creates a thin layer that offers various colors.
Applying an electrical current to the material being coated activates its surface, significantly improving the adherence of the coating film.
The vaporized material is then adhered to the substrate, forming a secure and resilient bonding layer.
Types of PVD-colored Stainless Steel Sheets
Designers and architects can create one-of-a-kind projects with PVD-colored stainless steel sheets, which provide a stunning array of colors and finishes. In this section, let’s explore the range of colors achievable as well as popular surface treatments.
A. Common Surface Finishes
To ensure that the color coating adheres best to the stainless steel sheets, we always start with polishing or brushing them before proceeding with PVD. This makes the dirt won’t be easily hidden and also ensures an even application of color.
- Mirror: A highly reflective, polished surface is achieved through a series of polishing and buffing processes. This finish adds a sense of luxury and brightness to any project and is especially suited for applications where a bold, high-gloss appearance is desired.
- Satin: It is created by grinding with belt sanders that range from No. 180 to 320 grit, creating a unidirectional texture and low shine reflectivity.
- Hairline: Similar to the satin finish, a hairline finish features finer parallel lines and a more delicate appearance, including straight, diagonal, and cross hairline.
- Vibration: An irregular surface with wavy or random lines created by a mechanical process utilizing high-speed oscillations of abrasive material, such as pads and brushes.
- Sandblasting: Through the use of high-powered air, sandblasting efficiently eliminates surface contaminants to produce a matte finish. The sandblasted finish is ideal for high-traffic areas or applications where a non-reflective surface is preferred.
- Patterned: Patterned/textured finishes are extremely popular, and often include embossing, stamping, or etching – like water ripple, linen, diamond, leather sand fabric 5wl 6wl, and square. After the PVD color coating is done, stamping can be performed. And etching may occur before or after the coloring.
- Anti-fingerprint(AFP): To ensure that your colored sheets are suitable for use in high-traffic areas, such as elevator panels, wall panels, decorative panels, etc., we recommend investing your budget into anti-fingerprint treatments after the color plating process. This will make sure that your project is not compromised by fingerprints or other smudges!
PVD coating is available in various colors, including gold, rose gold, champagne, black, bronze, blue, green, purple, or even rainbow. Each color can be used to create a unique look that suits your style.
When you’re looking for that luxurious feel, gold is a wonderful option. For those seeking something more homey and inviting, rose gold or bronze may be a perfect choice. Black PVD coating helps to bring out your design’s sharp lines while rainbow coatings make an outstanding statement with their one-of-a-kind multi-color finish!
Whichever hue catches your eye, rest assured that you’ll receive a product of superior quality with long-lasting durability.
Understanding the Benefits of PVD Colored Stainless Steel Sheets
1. Enhanced Aesthetics
It provides a more durable and vibrant finish than traditional paint or coatings. This makes it ideal for applications requiring an attractive, long-lasting aesthetic with minimal maintenance.
2. Improved Durability
Their impressive resistance to corrosion, wear, and tear, and high heat capacity makes them the perfect choice for extreme settings where top-notch performance is required.
3. Low Maintenance
AFP-colored stainless steel sheets look and perform superbly with very little maintenance required. The protective coating makes it unnecessary to clean or polish your sheet often, allowing you to save both energy and money in the long run.
4. Environmentally Friendly
In stark contrast to traditional coating techniques such as electroplating that utilize hazardous chemicals and contribute to environmental pollution, PVD is a vacuum-based process with zero toxic emissions or waste.
Selecting the Right Grade of Stainless Steel
A. The diverse properties of stainless steel, such as its corrosion resistance, strength, and formability differentiate it from other grades.
Some common grade types are:
- 200 series: characterized by lower nickel content and higher manganese content, offering good formability at low cost but reduced corrosion resistance
- 300 series: known for excellent corrosion resistance, weldability, and formability, with 304 and 316 being popular choices
- 400 series: featuring higher carbon content and magnetic properties, offering good heat resistance and strength but lower corrosion resistance
B. Factors to consider when choosing a stainless steel grade for PVD coloring:
1. Corrosion resistance: Carefully evaluating the environment and application, 304/316 stainless steel is highly recommended for its corrosion resistance if used outdoors. Consider the level of endurance needed to meet your project requirements.
2. Formability: If your project necessitates forming, you must be mindful to choose the right type of stainless steel. 200 series should not be utilized if it needs any kind of bending less than 90 degrees.
3. Maximize Your Budget: Take the time to compare prices between different grades that are suitable for your project, and choose the one that is most cost-efficient. Grade 201 is the cheapest while 316/316L has the highest cost.
V. Applications of PVD-colored Stainless Steel Sheets
A. Interior design
- Wall cladding: Transform your walls with the stunning and resilient aesthetic of PVD-colored stainless steel sheets.
- Elevator panels: enhance elevator interiors with eye-catching colored stainless steel panels
- Kitchen appliances: add a touch of luxury and sophistication to kitchen appliances
- Decorative art: use colored stainless steel sheets to create stunning artwork and sculptures
B. Architectural Features:
1. Building facades: building facades can be upgraded to an unparalleled level of both beauty and strength. This unique material is perfect for exterior building cladding and adds a distinct flair that will last for years.
2. Roofing: for stunning, long-lasting roofing solutions, consider PVD-colored stainless steel sheets – you won’t be disappointed.
3. Doors and window frames: incorporate PVD-colored stainless steel sheets for doors and windows to bring a stylish, modern feel to your space.
C. Signage and Branding:
Add vibrancy and texture to your signage with PVD-colored stainless steel sheets. Highly durable and visually appealing, this material can create a lasting impression for any establishment.
D. Consumer products
Electronic devices: give gadgets and devices a premium look
Jewelry and watches: create stunning, scratch-resistant jewelry and timepieces
Sporting goods: add durability and style to sporting equipment
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing
Ensure that your project’s sheet size and thickness adhere to the applicable specifications for ultimate results. For instance, if you require colored sheets for decorative purposes, then a 0.5-1.0mm thickness range is recommended since it can help cut costs!
Choose a color or design that will perfectly match the overall aesthetic of your project. If you want something more modern, think about vibrant colors such as violet and green.
3. Quality Matters
To guarantee the best quality in your PVD-colored stainless steel sheets, purchase from a reliable supplier. It’s wise to request samples so that you can review them prior to buying in larger quantities.
Tips for Working with PVD-colored Stainless Steel Sheets
A. Handling and storage
- Wear gloves: To avoid leaving fingerprints, smudges, and possible scratches on the sheets, avoid touching them with your bare hands.
- Lift with care: To prevent bending or damaging the edges, lift and transport the sheets with caution. If required, use the proper equipment.
- Protective film: To reduce the risk of surface damage, keep the factory protective film on the sheets while storing and handling them.
- Clean storage location: Keep the sheets away from moisture, dust, and corrosive materials in a place that is clean, dry, and well-ventilated.
B. Cutting and fabrication
- Use appropriate tools: Employ suitable cutting equipment, such as laser, or waterjet cutting systems, to minimize damage to the PVD coating.
- Protective film: Keep the protective film in place during fabrication to shield the PVD coating from damage. If you need to do laser cut, then be sure to choose the protective film suitable for laser cutting.
- Minimize heat: Use coolants or other heat reduction methods, particularly during welding or grinding, to protect the coating. If your project requires welded stainless steel sheets, we recommend not ordering the colored sheets, as the high temperature will easily cause discoloration of the sheet surface.
- Take precautionary care: Be gentle when handling the sheets during fabrication to prevent scratches or dents.
C. Installation and fastening
- Be sure that the sheets are securely fastened by using appropriate installation techniques, such as adhesive bonding and mechanical fastening.
- Use the proper fasteners, such as stainless steel threaded rods and nuts or self-tapping screws, to reduce scratching of the PVD coating.
D. Cleaning and maintenance
- To protect the surface from scratches, make sure to utilize non-abrasive cleaning products and soft cloths.
- For a consistent look, wipe the surface in its finished direction.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that could damage the PVD coating
PVD-colored stainless steel sheet manufacturer
Vigorss, a leading and trustworthy producer of PVD-colored stainless steel sheets, has built a strong reputation for providing customers all over the world with products of outstanding quality. We are a China-based B2B company taking pride in upholding particular quality control and continually discovering clients’ hidden demands.
You may make spectacular, long-lasting effects in your architectural and interior design projects with our wide range of products in a variety of colors and finishes.
Businesses looking for the best PVD-colored stainless steel sheets can turn to us as a reliable partner in a market where product quality and client satisfaction are top priorities. Vigorss is the right choice for great products and unmatched customer service because of its constant commitment to quality.
PVD-colored stainless steel sheets are a fantastic option for a variety of applications because they offer a distinctive blend of aesthetics, durability, and versatility. You can guarantee a good outcome that will withstand the test of time by comprehending the PVD process, picking the proper grade of stainless steel, selecting the right color, and choosing the perfect surface finish. With the information you’ve gained from this comprehensive guide, you can choose PVD-colored stainless steel sheets with confidence, enabling you to develop products that are gorgeous, durable, and practical.
E-mail us at email@example.com or call 0086-13715484114 any time, day or night – We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we may commence on your next project!
1.Can PVD colored stainless steel sheets be used for outdoor applications?
Yes, PVD colored stainless steel sheets have the same corrosion-resistant properties as plain stainless steel sheets, making them suitable for outdoor applications.
2.How long does a PVD colored stainless steel sheet last? Will the PVD color fade?
The lifespan of a PVD colored stainless steel sheet depends on the thickness, quality of the substrate, and maintenance. With proper maintenance, a PVD colored stainless steel sheet installed indoor can last for decades.
3. Can PVD colored stainless steel sheets be custom made? How to do customization?
Yes, PVD colored stainless steel sheets can be custom made to match the specific requirements of a project. Customization options include color, texture, finish, size, and thickness.
4.Are PVD colored stainless steel sheets expensive?
The price of PVD colored stainless steel sheets can vary depending on the color, finish, texture, and thickness. However, they are generally more expensive than plain stainless steel sheets due to the additional coating process and customization options.
5.How do I know if a PVD colored stainless steel sheet is high quality?
A high-quality PVD colored stainless steel sheet should have a uniform color and finish, with no visible defects or imperfections.
6.Can PVD colored stainless steel sheets be recycled?
Yes, PVD colored stainless steel sheets can be recycled, as they are made from stainless steel, which is a highly recyclable material.
7.How can I ensure that the PVD colored stainless steel sheet I receive matches my desired color?
It is recommended to request a color sample from the supplier or manufacturer before placing an order. This can ensure that the desired color is achieved and matches the intended design.
8.What is the minimum order quantity for PVD colored stainless steel sheets?
Usually 10pcs of standard sizes/finishes/colors and 50pcs of customized sizes/finishes/colors.